Saturday, January 29, 2011

WonderWorks


We hadn't been to WonderWorks in Oak Park since the spring, so I was glad when my friend suggested meeting up there for a playdate.

WonderWorks in the smallest children's museum we frequent, but it's nice because when the kids run off to different sections I don't have to worry as much - I'm only a few steps away. They played with my friend's son (2 years old) for a while in the dress-up  area until Alexa said she wanted to do some art.


Jared headed straight for the scissors and cutting (one of his favorite things) while Alexa grabbed a paint brush and went to work. She gets into these painting moods where she'll want to paint like crazy every day, and then it seems like she forgets about it for awhile. And every time she comes back to it, she tries something new.

It's just so interesting to me to watch how people process information subconsciously and how very important it is to step away from things for awhile. And not just in areas like reading or math, but even painting or playing a musical instrument. It's amazing how when kids are given the freedom to respect the rhythms of their own learning the amazing progress that occurs. It's such a shame the school system does not respect this type of learning that is so essential. Oh, they say they understand that important cognitive function of the brain, but yet they insist all kids MUST do some math, writing, and reading every day for there to be progress. AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH.


After eating a quick lunch together, my friend and her kids left for home, and Jared, Alexa and I hung out in the music/puppet section for the next hour and a half. The kids love, love, love to make of songs, dress-up and make up stories. I'm really, really going to miss this age someday.

No comments: