Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pre-Thanksgiving Feast


I've a bit of catching up to do on the blog, but on the 20th of November we had a pre-thanksgiving feast at my mom's house. We try to switch Thanksgiving between our families every other year. This year was supposed to be at my parent's house, but my sister, her husband and son went out of town to her husband's side since this year all the sisters and brothers could be together. So, we all gathered the week before Thanksgiving at my parent's house for a pre-holiday celebration.


While my mom, sister and I were getting the food ready, the kids had a blast with Uncle Andy in his room doing pull-ups in his closet and jumping on the bed. Right before dinner, the kids placed the Thanksgiving scrolls they had made beside each person's plate. A few days before I had written on half-sheets of paper (which they had cut out themselves), one thing the kids were thankful to God about each person who would be at the dinner. Then we rolled the papers into scrolls and tied them with ribbon. During dinner, each person opened his or her scroll and read what the kids had written. It really was a special and memorable time, even though I didn't come up with the idea!



We bundled up a bit and took a walk after the dinner to look at the slue near my parent's house. My sister let me play with her camera and I was in HEAVEN! I was so, so, so wanting to take that camera home with me. It's a Canon DSL Rebel T1. I have always wanted to learn more about photography and own a really nice camera, but I haven't followed up on that dream yet. Maybe one day we can save up for one.



All the kids posed for a picture on the walk. Needless to say, the picture I took from my sister's camera was much nicer.



After the walk, we came back to wonderful Czech bakery, pumpkin pie, cheesecake and cookies. Then we settled in to watch the original Karate Kid movie. It was a relaxing, wonderful day.

1 comment:

mel said...

sounds a lovely family time...

i love that idea of the scrolls....

(i have camera-envy as well...)

:)