Monday, May 19, 2008

Independent Play

5/7
I felt so bad today. For most of the day, the twins played independently. While I believe in the importance of independent play, in fact I highly value it, I do like to be actively involved in their lives. Maybe it’s because I’m an older mom and I know how fast time can go by, but I feel like every hour with them is so precious and I don’t want to miss anything that I’ll regret later. That said, they did seem to have a great time playing together. It wasn’t like they were every whining or upset that I wasn’t playing with them more. It’s just so extremely hard some times to balance the housework, cooking and being with them. They definitely are my top priority out of those three, but still the other two have to get taken care of some times as well.

For the most part of the morning, they played with their blocks, pretend food and animals, Legos and bounced up and down on the couch cushions.

This afternoon I worked on writing a list of things to do with them each day. It’s not like I want to have some “lesson plan” (God forbid!) for the day, it’s just that I have so many great ideas for things that I think are important to introduce the them or that I think they would love to do, and then I forget them. It’s just nice to have an idea of different things to do so I can quickly go from one activity to another when they are ready to go on. I also aim to have a balance for them. So far this includes reading, math, science activities, music, art, cooking, sensory activities, and nature play.

The kids had a great time with Steve tonight. They get so active at night sometimes. They wanted Dad to read Fox in Socks read over and over again. Before they went to sleep, they also went outside to look for the moon before they went to sleep.

No comments: