Friday, July 31, 2009

Hiking in the Woods with Daddy



We try to get outside as much as we can every night after dinner. Whether it's catching fireflies outside, riding trikes around the block or walking through the woods, taking advantage of the warm weather and longer days is a priority for us. Plus, it also helps tire the kids out more so they will go to sleep earlier (they usually go to sleep between 9:00-9:30 and get up around 6:30-7:30).

A favorite spot is the Cermak Woods near our home. We've only been here once this summer. It's really nice to come in the spring and fall when it's easier to walk in between the trees and see the deer. I'd like to come more by myself with the kids, but last time we were here they ran away from me in opposite directions, so until they understand how important it is to stay closer where I can see them, I have to go with Steve.

A funny little story about our evening here. As we were heading off towards the trees, there was a little boy there with his mom (I presume) who started following us and talking to me. His mom was a little ways off, talking on the phone.

He pointed to Jared and asked, "What is his name?"

When I told him, the boy said, "He looks like someone who goes to my school. Does Jared go to school? he asked.

"No," I said. "Jared doesn't go to school. He's only three years old."

"When does he have to go to school?" the boy asked.

"He never has to go to school, " I said.

The boy looked so dumbfounded. "Never?" he asked. "He never has to go to school?"

"Nope, I said.

By the this time the boy's mom had yelled at him to get back over to her. I felt bad for him as he watched us walk away as clearly he was having a good time talking with me (an enlightening conversation for him, I'm sure!)and his mom was still talking on the phone and not paying attention to him.




As we walked, we'd stop and look at the deer prints we'd find.





They loved it when Steve climbed a blackberry tree to pick some fruit for them.









No comments: