Sunday, November 1, 2009

Grand Cayman Adventure - Take-Off

We left on our Grand Cayman adventure on Sept. 12th at 8:00 in the morning. Well, it was supposed to be 8:00, but it turned out we didn't lift-off until 10:30 in the morning. It was an omen of the delays that would accompany every leg of our journey, both to the island and back.

Now, it wouldn't have been that bad if it had just been Steve and I, but it was hard for the kids to be in the airport and then have to wait two and a half more hours until we left. We did our best with keeping them busy by eating donuts and putting together puzzles, watching other planes take off , and just walking past stores.

When we finally took-offf, both kids did really well. In fact, Alexa was the most excited and loved watching out the window during the whole process. We had three seats together, where Steve and the kids sat, and then I sat directly across the aisle. Once we were in the air, I could sit in their row with one of the kids on my lap.

We landed in Washington D.C. and had lunch. There was a delay getting on this flight. Upon landing in Miami, we were told were were on a plane that had to be towed into the gate. Well, they had towed us to probably within fifty feet of the gate, when suddenly they stopped. There had been some rain and lightening, and we were told that per union rules, no ground crew could be out when there was lightening spotted within three miles. So we sat on the plane close to an hour.

We had to disembark, but then we boarded the same plane a short while later. Once again, we sat on the plane for about 45 minutes before it took off. The ride to the island was pretty smooth, but we landed at 11:15 p.m., much later than we had intended. So, it was nerve-wracking, and stress-inducing to get all the bags to the rental place and somehow figure out how to get to our home when it was so dark outside, and the directions were written poorly.

Once we arrived at the house, we again had to wait for someone to let us in. We had been told the door would be open, but it wasn't. After a few calls, the owner's girlfriend who lives in the upper part of the house, let us in. The kids went to bed at 1:15 a.m.  They probably slept on the plane for only three hours tops and had been up since 7:00 a.m. Needless to say, I was hoping they'd sleep good that night so we could recover.

Wrong. They were up at 6:15 a.m. the next day. Life is unpredictable with kids, but I'd never want it any other way. We were so blessed to go on this adventure.

Here's a few more pics on the plane. I spent a lot of time, hours, reading to them on the plane.I felt very blessed at that moment to have kids who will spend very long periods of time listening to stories and books.

No comments: