Friday, November 20, 2009

Grand Cayman - Doing the Ordinary in the Midst of the Extraordinary



I've been reading another blog for a while written by a mother, father and nine year old daughter who have sold their home and decided to go on an open-ended trip around the world. They have been at this now for I believe four and a half years. They live five months in Spain and then travel throughout Europe and a little in Africa.

One of my favorite quotes from the mom, who writes the blog, is that the best part of family travel is doing the ordinary in the midst of the extraordinary. I guess this goes along with my last post. Some of my favorite moments will be remembering how they piled up as much stuff as they could find in the hallway to make their "house." (Of course they do this at home, too, but somehow it doesn't seem as cute when I have to put everything back along with my other chores!).

They also spent several hours throughout the two weeks simply jumping off the bed onto the air mattress. Slow travel allows you to stay in one place for an extended period of time, and it gives you some time off just to do the ordinary, something very important for family bonding.





No comments: