Friday, February 12, 2010

George's Marvelous Medicine


I picked up Roald Dahl's George's Marvelous Medicine at the thrift store a while back. I stuck it in the bookshelf and forgot about it. Alexa found it about a month ago and wanted me to read it. I had never read it before and had no idea what the story was about, and actually, that probably was a good thing because I don't know if I would have chosen it otherwise.

The story is about a boy who has a nasty, old grandmother who makes his life miserable. George comes up with the idea o mixing up a new medicine for his grandmother which will either make her nicer or blow her head up. He proceeds to pour pills, liquids and powders from all rooms of the house into a large pot and boils it on the stove. I'll let you read the book to find out what happens to Grandma.

The kids, Jared especially, was riveted to the story. It's not a long book; I think just 70-80 pages, and we read it within a few day. Ever since then they've wanted to mix up concoctions. They search through all rooms of the house for things to put in their "medicine": peanuts, dish soap, toothpaste, Jared's real medicine (really, that's another post in itself), eggs, playdough, tarragon, parsley and rosemary, Pop-Tarts, pasta, pretzels,cheese, milk, soda, water, flour, sugar, rice, and paper.





I don't even know why we buy toys for the kids. Really, they'd be happy just playing with everything  hidden in the cabinets. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.



No comments: