Friday, June 5, 2009

Greek Mythology and Around the World in 80 Days

May 1

It was a really exhausting night last night. We had to get up three times with them. At least they didn’t come into our room until 6:30, so we were able to sleep in somewhat. Alexa went straight to the castle in the living room again. While I took my shower, they watched some episodes of the Magic School bus, including Show and Tell, the book we read yesterday. I forgot to say that yesterday they also watched Families of Japan from Families of the World DVD series. I highly, highly recommend this series for young children. Each DVD features a day in the life a child in both the rural and city of a different country. So far the twins have watched the China and Australia episodes.

Another DVD they watched was Donald in Mathmagicland. I didn’t realized how complex the show was with using pool table moves to show mathematical calculations and in-depth discussion of Pythagoras theorem. I was sure they wouldn’t want to watch more than a few minutes of it, but to my surprise they watched the whole thing and then asked to watch it again when it was over! How much they understand I don’t know, but they constantly surprise me with the things they catch onto.

As long as I am talking about DVDs, another DVD they watched last week and that we returned yesterday was the Scramble States of America – again very highly recommended. Both of our kids have loved looking at maps since about a year and a half, and they know most of the states
and dozens of countries – Alexa more so than Jared – so I think it might have made a difference in their enjoyed of the DVD.

During lunch I read them a few short sections in the Gods and Goddesses of Olympus and the Lets Read and Find Out Science Energy book. We were in a hurry today since we were planning on meeting my sister and her friend at the zoo. It was such a dreary, rainy day today, and the power went out just before we left the house (which stressed me out because I had something in the crock pot that probably wouldn’t be done for dinner now), so I wasn’t in the mood to go to the zoo. On top of that, when we went to the library to check out a zoo pass (we can check out zoo passes from our library and get into the Brookfield Zoo for free), there weren’t any left. I thought we were the only crazy ones to want to go to the zoo in this lousy weather. So we wound up not going. Jared threw a terrific tantrum, so I appeased them both with birthday cake. I know. I didn’t like it either, but I was feeling desperate.

They played upstairs for a good hour by themselves. I love to listen to them play together, especially now that they playing is getting so much more complex. It also allowed me to vacuum and clean the bathroom, something I didn’t think I’d get done today. They watched Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day video and took about an hour nap. I knew that would be a later night this evening, but it was really nice to work on this blog. I really, really want to keep up with it this year. I love having a great record of our learning adventures. I hope very soon to post pictures. Also, I’ve been keeping up with other home and unschooling blogs, so I’d like to link to them soon, too.

After dinner, the kids played with Steve upstairs for a while and then played outside. They swung on the swings some and then rode their tricycles around the yard, saying they were going to China. Too cute. Now they are watching the cartoon version of Around the World in Eighty Days. A big day tomorrow with my sister’s birthday party.

No comments: