Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Library Reading Program



We've been participating in a nearby library's summer reading program called Be Creative at your Library. At first I didn't know how I felt about this. As a whole, I'm really against giving prizes or any other type of bribery for learning. If it doesn't come from within, you aren't truly going to learn anything. But then I think back to participating in the same programs when I was a kid. I remember one year when I was probably seven and the theme was squirrels and after reading a book you could put a nut under your tree hanging up in the library. I really, really looked forward to those reading contests, having a certificate at the end and seeing how many books I could read that summer. I loved reading regardless if there was a prize involved, and I know that already my kids LOVE being read to and have pretty much their whole life, so I know they would love reading even without any external reason to do so.

After reading twenty books, they were given a coupon for a free chocolate gold coin at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, a buy one, get one free pass for a Kane County Cougar game (which we won't use) and a prize from the treasure chest. After each set of twenty books read, they get one more prize and can put their names in a raffle for a large basket of books.

I thought I'd list the books they have read so far. I'll probably do another update at the end of the contest which ends July 24th (the contest started June 8th.) 

Edit: Since I first wrote this post, I've edited it to include all the books we read during the contest.

The Gnats of Knotty Pine
Nan's Fiddle
How Many Teeth?
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
So you Want to Be President?
Mona Lisa: The Secret of the Smile
Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure
Jack and the Meanstalk
We All Fall for Apples
"Not Now!" Said the Cow
My Friend Rabbit
Snowflake Bentley
The Three Pigs
A Cloak for the Dreamer
The Case of the Troublesome Turtle
Chipmunk at Hollow Tree Lane
Dancing on the Sand
The House in the Night
Daisey Head Mazie
The Hello, Goodbye Window
Jennifer and Josephine
Chang's Paper Pony
Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
It's Winter
Huge Harold
The Greedy Triangle
The Wondrous Whirligig
Where Did That Baby Come From?
TwooTwit
For You Are a Kenyan Child
Miss Milly Goes to Philly
Leaves
George Washington's Teeth
The Best Gift of All
If I Were a Jungle Animal
Just What Mama Needs
From Tadpole to Frog
The Story of Jumping Mouse
The Big Dipper
Dig Dig Digging
Trucks Roll
Jack the Philharmonic Dog
And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street
Edward and the Pirates
Nini Here and There
The Old Woman and Her Pig
Independence Day
Looking for Uncle Louie on the 4thof July
Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky
Once Upon A Lily Pad
The Orphan Singer
Elijah McCoy Inventor
What Lives in a Shell?
Mirette on the High Wire
Ready or Not, Here I Come
Smoky Night
Repunzel
Picture Book of Fredrick Douglas
Grandfather's Journey
Clamshell Boy: A Makah Legend
Officer Buckle and Gloria
Lon Po Po: A Red Riding Hood Story
In My Own Backyard
Golem
Monster Math
Every Single Night Raccoon at Clear Creek Road
Thomas Edison to the Rescue
What's Alive?
Apple Pie on the 4th of July
Oh Say Can You Say Di-no-saur
Don't Eat the Babysitter
The Glorious Flight
Jethro and Joel Were a Troll
How Many Sharks in the Bath?
Hey, Al
The Pen that Pa Built
Pablo Picasso
Goodnight Copycub
A Day in the Life of a Dancer
Art Dog
A Whale Shark
Polar Express
Tiggy Tiger Brave Explorer
The Shape of Things
Most Loved Monster
Ballerina Dreams
Sharks Not Geographic
St. George the Dragon
Tuesday
Jumanji
Fables
The Fantastic Drawings of Danielle
Slower Than a Snail
Akido, Miss Alice and the Dance Class
The Mud Pony
Dancing Drum: A Charokee Legend
Owl Moon
Amazing Shark

No comments: